Charles Henderson, a mill owner from Dundee in the 18th century, Feud from Strathmore estates an area of land around where Charleston is now located. The land was used for woodland, farming, milling, weaving and Quarrying. The house's that established the village were created to house Charles Henderson's workforce: hence the name "Charleston" originated. William Henderson of Rochelhill; son of Charles then in 1839 bequeathed the school, schoolhouse and the drying green so that the People of Charleston would always have a place of education, meeting and fresh water independent of Strathmore Estate. As part of the bequeathment it was required that the villagers form a committee of Trustees to be responsible for the upkeep of the properties and land. In 1834 the population of Charleston was numbered at 230 and increasing. In the 1930's the school and schoolhouse were closed and converted into the Village Hall you see today. The drying green is now a Playpark for the children of Charleston. The people of Charleston continue to maintain a committee entrusted with the upkeep of both the Village Hall and the Playpark for the benefit of the wider community. Over many years the hall has been used extensively for many community meetings and social events.